Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Time to update this blog of mine.

Showed Siti my blog in the ward the other day (while waiting for Muhaimin and Kak Su to finish their passing of report) and her first exclamation was "WAH! SO LONG NEVER UPDATE!" or something that goes along that line.

THREE more weeks till PRCP is over!! =D

Three months of attachments non-stop flew by so fast, i'm still surviving, and i will continue to survive! (shee sings the chorus of "I will survive" by Gloria Gaynor softly slowly, then picks up the pace as she crescendo until she screams that particular line out hysterically)

Working life has been tough, but it allowed me to meet new friends.. to think that i just came home from an outing with a staff nurse, and two other students, Siti whom i hardly speak to in school and Muhaimin, the guy from NP.
It also allowed me to experience the blessings of working shifts. If you couldn't catch it, there's a slight tinge of sarcasm to that line.
I WORKED on NEW YEAR'S day! Not morning or afternoon shift but NIGHT shift!
When people welcomed the new year in the company of friends and family.. i welcomed it in the company of my patients. When people were dancing, full of adrenaline in those last few minutes of the year 2007 and the first few minutes of 2008, we nurses that night "danced" our might away with a patient, running after the old man, coaxing him to his bed and finally carrying him to his chair.

Oh well, that's nursing life for you.

But other than that, there were little specks of joy that night, enough to make me smile and say to myself that spending new year's in the ward isn't too bad after all. I had a nice little treat from my preceptor - a can of drink and twisties. Spending my hour long of break in the activity room enjoying my little treat, stretching my legs over the sofa and watching what was remaining of the late night tv show. I still managed to catch the firework display, i laughed at the old man's expression when he looked, pointed to me and shook his head angrily and i listened with interest as my preceptor told me of doctors and nurses who hitched up together in the past and as we talked about other stuff.
So, tho' i missed counting down with my beloved friends, the yearly affair of eating prata at Unc Murali's house and many others, i still did enjoy my new year's after all.
Brownie-cupcakes
After Christmas, both Nana and I can tell you that making (about) 60 brownies is definitely not a joke. The brownies were our Christmas gifts to the Sojourners and some others and we started baking from 6pm on the eve of Christmas till 645 am the next day!

Mixing, baking, making the icing, spreading the icing, colouring the icing and putting their names on top the brownie with the blue/green icing and finally packing it nicely... towards the end the two of us became so sick from making it, all we were saying to each other was "i wannaaaa sleeeeeeppp!".. the smell of icing was so horrible (try smelling 60 of them and smelling it for about 12 hours) i told her that i didn't wanna smell icing and see/eat brownies for the whole year. Of course, it's all just talk 'cause after Chris told me it was nice, i took one from the extras and ate it. Anyway, we're not exactly wonderful bakers, so there were some nice looking brownies and erm, funny looking ones. We divided them into 3 groups, nana calls them "The Beautiful", "The Disaster" and "The Beautiful Disaster". Of course we didn't give "The Disasters" out! (her blog has the pictures to each caption)

Some pictures. (we had no more time plus too tired to take more pictures, especially the ones with the names on them already, also didn't take a picture of nana at work)
anyway, the blogpost below mine.. Nana posted it.
We watched a Japanese show titled "NANA" on thursday at my place, and we loved these two songs..

No comments: