Saturday, October 18, 2008

There are days i feel shitty.
Today was one of those days.
Held back my tears a couple of times, during the shift and along the way home.

CE sent 4 patients to my cubicle @ one shot, when it was time for the morning shift to hand over to the afternoon shift. I have two patients squeezed in both my isolation rooms.
Because of the new rule Sister L made to have ward rounds every day (where all the nurses on shift has to listen to EVERY patients' report), the passing of report took ONE AND A HALF HOURS.
Morning shift left quite alot of things undone. we had to finish and help them out with the changes, but i could understand, really.
In this one shift alone, i had to transfer 3 of my patients out of my ward to another ward, discharge another patient by 5pm, which i could only do at 530pm 'cos the drug prescription, MC and memo were still not done at 5pm by the doctor, by then the inpatient pharmacy was gonna close soon, so before they closed i had to run out to get the medicine.

My ward nurses not only looked after children, we had to look after women too. There was an overflow of gynae cases. So we had 5 women. 3 came for surgery, 2 just delivered. At 630pm, my snr. recieved a call that we need to pick a patient up 'cos her surgery was done. My colleague who was in charge was having her break, so i went to pick the patient up.
Snr. wasn't very sure where to pick the patient up from, she heard women's OT.
Walked to women's OT only to find that there was no such patient there, they instructed me to go to day surgery. Went there only to find out that there was absolutely NO need for me to pick up the patient!

Came back to the ward, did my report, serve the medicines, settle another issue between the lab and the doctor (or at least i tried to settle) and continued with the report.

I didn't mention anything about me going for any break right. That's 'cos i didn't.
There was no time at all for a break..
Was too hungry till it came to a point where i wasn't hungry anymore.

And i felt shittier while passing report to the night shift because of another issue, sigh.

Thank you bestfriend for listening & understanding (:
It felt so good to finally let all my tears out.

I still thank God for today tho'. Learnt sooooooooooooooooo much. Had good snrs. who helped me and at least things were finally settling towards the end of the day.



No comments: